It was Sunday
morning, August 29, 1948 that seventeen people met in the home of Rev. DL.
Lougheed at 2132 East Schumacher
Street in Flint, Michigan to begin what is now the Twin Cities Baptist Church.
Rev. Lougheed gave an outline on the New Testament articles of faith, a church
covenant, and also a New Testament honored constitution. After this
process, thirteen people stood in approval of that which was read and voted to
organize into a New Testament Baptist Church. It was suggested by Rev.
Lougheed that the new church be given the name of Burton Baptist Church.
He was called as pastor at a salary of $15.00 per week. The first church
clerk and treasurer was Raoul Silisbee. He also was named the first
deacon-trustee of the new church.
On August 21, 1949 in a business meeting, Pastor Lougheed suggested that the church elect new trustees for the Burton Baptist Church. A motion was made to elect Brother Edward Cole as a trustee and Brother George Mayville and Brother Willis Kirby. Brother Henry Parrish made a motion that the three trustees be enough for now and Brother Larry Caswell seconded the motion. Then Pastor Lougheed suggested that the three trustees be voted on and twenty three members voted in favor of it. (The above information is from actual handwritten notes by Mrs. Clara Collins)
For a time, after the resignation of Pastor Lougheed, there was an interim pastor that traveled from Detroit and preached each week. Then Brother Jewell Smith who had just graduated from Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Missouri became the pastor and served for about three years. The ministry was greatly blessed under his leadership.
Following Pastor Smith’s ministry was Pastor Edmund Dinant and family from Knoxville, Tennessee. He became pastor of Burton Baptist Church October 17, 1957, and he led the church to move to its present location in 1963.
At that time the name was changed to Twin Cities Baptist Church. The church moved into a factory building 60 by 80 ft. Soon a larger building was constructed by the congregation for an auditorium. The average attendance at that time was between 125 and 150.
In 1972 a larger construction began on a new auditorium with a seating capacity of 1,500 including a balcony. It was first occupied in 1974. The building including a full basement plus the remodeling and addition of a second story to a portion of the old building was constructed almost entirely with volunteer help. The church had a successful ministry of souls being saved and many surrendering for full time service during the thirty one years that Pastor Dinant served. Pastor Dinant faithfully served the Lord until his last few years when he was severely ill and the Lord took him home in February of 1989. Knowing of his illness he had resigned several months previous to his homegoing and the church called Walter T. Andrews, a native of Connecticut, as pastor in September of 1988. Pastor Andrews has led out in remodeling all the buildings inside and out and has led the church to do these things being debt free. Within a few months of his arrival, the Lord had him to lead the church in the Faith Promise Mission Program. The Lord has blessed more than anyone could have imagined and we praise Him for over a half-million dollars being given to missions during the past ten years. To God be the glory for all that He has done here. May our history continue to His praise as we await His return.